Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Rick's Pirate Girl welcomes you with treasure and rum on the riverfront

This is a departure from yesterday's shipboard worship services but I couldn't resist. I am always drawn to handpainted artwork and murals on commercial establishments, whether it's a laundromat, convenience store or, as in this case, a riverfront bar and grill. The murals and their subject matter do of course differ from wall to wall depending on the product, service and clientele. In this case, Rick's on the River is a very popular restaurant located smack on the Hillsborough River. It is just a couple of minutes from South Tampa, the downtown business district and maybe faster by boat. Although several places in Tampa have good views of the water, not many allow diners and those looking for a cold drink to pull up to the dock and take a seat. Rick's certainly provides ample space with slips for boats up to 50 ft. in length. Right now the marina is crowded with every imaginable kind of watercraft and the docks and services look first rate. The place has lots of outside seating, even a large, inviting private party area. Plus, they feature live music every day. And, they are open every day of the year serving a delicious-looking menu including fresh oysters and quenching, cooling drinks. (They do cater.) It's enough to make any friendly pirate girl give up her plundering ways, drop the swashbuckling sword and join the boaters for terrific live music, a basket of fried onion rings, grouper and an icey bottle of Land Shark beer. (Visit their website. It's lots of Florida fun and very informative with menus, location and marina information - Ricks on the River. ) Yo-ho-ho, you landlubbers. This is a place to steer your ship when you're looking for Tampa treasure. Note: I cannot guarantee the pirate girl is waiting (although this fantastic mural will greet you upon arrival.)

7 comments:

Lowell said...

Please tell this is what the waitresses look like! Yes? Aha! Now I know why you go there...it ain't the onion rings!

Nice photo, Frank.

VP said...

Nice post, great mural, awesome pirate girl.

B SQUARED said...

She, I mean it, has just become my favorite place in Tampa. No more Bern's for me.

Les Barr said...

Aye Captain! Would "drop my anchor" there anytime! Looks like a real nice place.

Lois said...

That is truly a wonderful mural and so Florida! Rick's sounds like my kind of place.

Frank said...

Sounds to me as if we could easily fill the large party area. If the waitresses, fried fish and cold refreshment all passed muster, would we have to arrange for our table to be beside the mural?

Love the comment on Bern's!!

Unknown said...

I know this is many years later. Matt Callahan was my very good friend and painted me as a pirate girl at ricks on the river. I recently ran into him on one of my flights because now I am flight attendant and kept in touch since then..Such a loss for the Tampa community and he will forever be missed��....