Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This Green Iguana serves burgers and beer. No, not iguana burgers!

This mighty green beast must be 25 feet long. If I had backed away to capture his entire length you would see that he covers half the roof of this popular spot, The Green Iguana Bar & Grill, on South Westshore. The Green Iguana is an apt name for this fun, palm-laden, very Florida-like place. (With that giant monster over your head, what would you call your establishment?) The little lizard perched on the big one's rear leg, you have to look closely to see him, is probably only four feet long. Just a tiny guy. The Green Iguana, around the Tampa area for over 18 years, has six locations in Tampa, St. Pete and right on 7th Avenue in the heart of Ybor City. That's the location I know best and have enjoyed many times while sitting at a table laden with appetizers, mouthwatering burgers and icy Guinness. It's one of the best spots to watch the world of Ybor pass by. (Just get a table out front on the sidewalk; it doesn't get any better.) Their website has a tall-tale that tries to explain their name and its significance. The legend of the Green Iguana begins, "Years have passed since that fateful trip, but the man remembers it like yesterday." I can speak for two locations but I'm sure each one has the same welcoming feel, delicious food, good service and live music that doesn't interrupt but instead adds to the fun of the place. I had never noticed the slithering giant iguana before, believe it or not, I think because he is so big , and on the roof, I missed him as I headed to the food and drink. (That's my excuse, OK?!) He is big! And serves monster burgers that I strongly recommend. The legend that goes with the naming doesn't hint at why the burgers are so good. Check it out.

7 comments:

Hilda said...

Tampa seems to have the most colorful and gigantic creature decorations among all the cities I've been touring virtually! Should be a fascinating study for a psychology researcher…

The Green Iguana sounds like a fun place! Especially the live music part :)

Lowell said...

You appear to have a plethora of colorful and palatable food emporiums there in Tampa.

Iguanas are a pain in the you-know-what, though.

Especially in South Florida...nowadays they walk down the sidewalks like they own the place...Our daughter must have 15 in the trees behind her house!

Frank said...

I remember well being greeted in broad daylight by several in Cancun that blocked the sidewalk and all but dared me to take them on. Scary guys. Big and pushy.

B SQUARED said...

Looks just like my yard back home.

Lois said...

That is cute! Love the "little" guy sitting on his leg.

Unseen India Tours said...

This is so fantastic !! Lovely and beautiful...Great..Unseen Rajasthan

Don and Krise said...

Man, I had to read this right before lunch didn't I?? I'll bet that fellow is responsible for attracting quite a few patrons.