Friday, June 12, 2009

SkyWatch Friday: The marina at Ricks on the River is the place to ride out the approaching storm

This easterly view of the sky over Tampa shows the clouds beginning to gather, darken and grow more menacing. But we really need the moisture in those threatening, blackening clouds. Thankfully they'll let loose a real downpour which might last 15 minutes, more or less. The funny thing about Florida rain showers here on the Gulf Coast, now that we are back into our rainy season, is my street might get an inch of good, soaking rain, this marina 2 inches, and your house, a few blocks away? Zero. But, guaranteed, the humidity will drop a little and the air will feel cooler, even if the temps stay around 90+ degrees (32+ degrees celsius!) Our drought isn't over yet but the rain is falling more regularly and the water reservoirs and the rivers are beginning to rise. These boats tied up at Ricks's marina on the Hillsborough River won't be sitting up high and dry on the sand if the rains continue. At least not anytime soon from the looks of the storm that is surely coming this way.

Be sure and visit all the SkyWatch Friday sites throughout the world.

16 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Love the clouds---course I just like clouds anyway. I hope you get more rain your way. We could use some here to. I heard on the news that this is 22 days here without rain. I hope we aren't going for a record. MB

Don and Krise said...

Great photo Frank. Here's hoping you get that rain. Hang on to your hat.

Guy D said...

Excellent shot of the marina, I love all the colors and reflections.

Have a great weekend
Guy
Regina In Pictures

B SQUARED said...

Never get used to the "selective" rainfall.

Carol said...

Great photo....a beautiful shot of this marina...I love the rippled reflections...and the moody sky...

Jane Hards Photography said...

Your marina is a lot better looking than my harbour. Lovely light and shimmer on the water.

Lois said...

Nice shot Frank! We have that same rain scenario here too. Has it been as hot down there as it has been up here? We've been sweltering for the past week.

San said...

Gorgeous. Speaking of rain disparity, I've known it to rain in my back yard, not in the front. Desert rain is quirky indeed.

I wandered over from Lori's. Glad I did. Those clouds hanging over the boats--a visual feast.

Buenos Aires Photoblog said...

Nice shot. Oh I love boating... It gives me peace of mind.

Unseen India Tours said...

Hey Frank !! This is a Real Lovely Capture !! I Really loved the clouds ..Nice Shot...Also I Have Started My Own Website And Would Like You To Have A Look At It.I Would Love To Have Your Comments On That Also.Unseen Rajasthan

Lowell said...

I love marinas and I love to shoot marinas...this one is beautiful and it's a great photo!

Hilda said...

Since there's a drought there, then I am very happy to see those dark clouds gathering!

Petrea Burchard said...

It sure looks like a great place.

joan said...

It has been like that here as well. I`love the pastel reflections on the water in your photo.

Arija said...

Nice shot with the marina.

penny said...

Looks like a typical afternoon Florida sky, but just wait 5 minutes and the sun will shine again :D
Rick's Marina looks like a great place to hang out and enjoy the beautiful vistas...
Thanks for the visit and kind comment, Frank.
Have a wonderful week.